Monday, May 19, 2008

Good start

Finally done the tedious task of transferring my enlarged roughs to the bristol, and now comes the much more interesting stage of adding more detail. Or maybe it's just more interesting because I've been working at Deep 6 studios in Brooklyn! Through fate, I've met up with Dean Haspiel, Harvey Pekar's preferred artist for his big post-American Splendor movie biography, The Quitter. Dean is part of a cartoonist collective called Deep Six - you can see a lot of their work on www.activatecomix.com. Anyhow, it's probably the most exciting thing that's happened to me in the last few months. You have to get over a certain intimidation factor certainly, but there's so much to learn, and it really pushes you to work harder and learn all you can from all the talented artists around you. After working in the studio, and taking at least a couple of ping pong breaks (I beat Mike Cavallaro today! Well, I beat him once), I don't know how I'll go back to toiling in my studio all alone.

Anyhow, here's some work I did today - the comic is starting to come together...



I'll be back at Deep Six tomorrow. Everyone keep blog superfan #1 in your thoughts and prayers - she just broke her collarbone, and might need her prodigal son to return home next weekend to administer some needed TLC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Superfan#1 - get well soon! OUCH!
N8, tell us more about Deep Six!