Sunday, April 13, 2008

Inkling

Had some modest goals for the weekend - touch up the pencils and get comfortable with my new crow-quill ink pen. I had a negative experience with a crow-quill in high school, but already the crow-quill feels so natural that I'm wondering how I did Consumed with Rapidographs.

Anyways, here's some mark making, all straight lines with the crow-quill, curvy ones with the brush. Not much, but all I needed was to remember how it felt to hold these tools.



Looking forward to inking. It can be kinda nerve-wracking, because it requires a great deal of concentration. But there's a certain moral hazard when I ink digitally; I don't take a lot of care with the lines I lay down because I know I can just undo them. As a result, everything takes longer.

As indie comics legend and misogynist nutcase Dave Sim notes, inking is 90% confidence. And that's exactly what you feel when you're in a groove, and it's kinda infectious. And the brush especially just lays down a beautiful line, which, even when you mess up, manages to look all right.

Going to try and finish two and a half pages tomorrow. Maybe a little ambitious...

8:30 - 10:00 - breakfast, clean up studio, prepare for interview
10:00 - 11:00 - interview, file claim, fill out form
11:00 - 1:00 - first pass ink
1:00 - 2:00 - snack, mon amor
2:00 - 4:00 - second pass
4:00 - 5:00 - break
5:00 - 7:00 - third pass
7:00 - 8:00 - dinner (chicken), call Aaron
8:00 - 9:00 - third pass
9:00 - 12:00 - beer with Aaron, fourth pass

No comments: