Thursday, December 13, 2007

Flags, Robots, and Noodly Bitches

I'm starting to realize how great this blogging every day thing is for my artwork: every day I have a deadline, every day I make a presentation while generating content for the site, and every day I have an audience (however small - it's like you're in on a secret!!!). I've always been an extrovert, so it comes kind of naturally to write about myself, and in particular, my comics.

Tonight was a good night - did some rough sketches while catching up with my favorite bartender at Greenpoint watering hole Jack O'Neil's. Drawing the characters is starting to feel a little more natural, and I'm quicker with my pencil.

rough-panel-2

rough-panel-1-me
Trying to draw a suppressed smile here - needs more work

rough-panel-1-robot


More significantly, I created a "finished" image that, at least for the moment, qualifies as satisfactory.

panel_1_finished

The background, the lighting, the character design, the inking - if the entire comic were executed with this level of quality, I wouldn't be disappointed. That might not sound like much, but after yesterday I was concerned with my inked image of Robot, and began to question my whole process. Would I have to switch to larger format? Could I get away with such loose sketching? Is the style way off? But this looks good - could certainly improve, but it'll at the very least stand up next to the rest of my portfolio.

I have to mention this hilarious Johnny Ryan book I'm reading called Comic Book Holocaust. It's entirely one-page mockups of your favorite old comic strips with some sort of jaw-droppingly offensive twist. It's not politically correct, in fact, it's not correct in any way, but it's freaking funny as hell.

johnny_ryan

No comments: